Thursday, July 23, 2009

Like the Zombies said: It's the time...to brew a Saisson

I wanted to make this because I wanted something light and a little sour. This will be great to drink in late August/ Early September. It is a Farmhouse Ale, so I can ferment it in my hall closet and it will do fine although it is perpetually 82 degrees in my house. I should get the damn air conditioner fixed, then I can make some lagers.

Zombie Saisson (After Dupont Saisson from Clone Beers)

Step mash in Sanke Keg with stainless false bottom.
July 19, 2009 @ 3:00
19 lbs. Pilsner Malt
1 lb. Vienna Malt (GWM)
2 lb. Wheat Malt

Began at 122, stepped up by adding hot water to 150
Sparge on the tall ladder @ 170
Problem: Sweet Wort overflow from 5 gallon bucket
Boil for 90 minutes
Added Belgian Candi Sugar and 2 oz. Super Styrian (90)
Added 1 oz. East Kent Goldings and Bitter Orange Peel (15)
Added 1 oz. East Kent Goldings (5)


5-6 Gallons pitched Wyeast Abbey yeast
3-4 gallons pitched Wyeast Saison Yeast
Both ferment at 70-75
Saison yeast began after 24 hours and only went for 36 hours
Abbey yeast took 48 hours but is still going after 3 day
Both yeasts were old. This was my first experience with Wyeast. One of the blister packs was busted already.

0 comments: